CYO Sports is one component of a parish's comprehensive youth ministry program which enables the partnership of parents, coaches, priests, religious, teachers and adult leaders to manage and support a sports program that allows youth to grow in their relationship with God and come to better understand themselves and the Catholic Faith.
Such a program:
- Employs healthy and enjoyable competition to promote the sharing of gospel values among athletes, parents and coaches.
- Assists parish leadership in nourishing the emotional, spiritual, social and physical need of young people.
- Encourages young people to appreciate the gifts that they possess, and challenges them to share these gifts with their community.
- Allows youth to witness the life of Christian discipleship in their coaches and adult leaders.
- Encourages youth to become responsible members of their faith community.